RINGBERG IR 09 (Nov 01-04)
Back to program
First email announcement (Oct 1, 2009)
As many of you have heard, we will have an IR-group Retreat again this
year to give us a chance to discuss our science and future strategies
in a more relaxed atmosphere than is normally possible at the institute.
This year the meeting will take place from:
Sunday, 1 November - Wednesday, 4 November, 2009
at Ringberg Castle
The entire IR-group is kindly invited to this meeting, and we strongly
urge all of the science staff, postdocs and PhD students to attend. For
those of you who are relatively new to the group, we have group retreats
every two years or so, and they are have an been an extremely successful
and efficient means of communicating science results and project
developments within the group.
A preliminary outline for the retreat is given here. A more detailed
plan with a full list of speakers, times etc. will appear soon on the
IR-group web page.
The meeting will be focussed in four topical sessions, each containing
short presentations and longer periods of discussion and brainstorming.
Topics and session coordinators are:
1) "Status of Large Programs/Activities within the IR-Group", which will
take up most of the day on Monday
- SINS/zCOSMOS ESO Large Program with SINFONI - Natascha Foerster Schreiber
- IRAM Large Program with the PdBI - Linda Tacconi
- Galactic Center ESO Large Program - Stefan Gillessen
- PACS Performance - Helmut Feuchtgruber
- Lucifer Performance for Science Planning - Jaron Kurk (TBC)
- Discussion on instrumentation prospects - Sebastian Rabien
2) "FIR Detector technologies: Bolometers, MKIDS, TES, etc." will be coordinated
by Walfried Raab and Albrecht Poglitsch and is tentatively planned for
Tuesday morning. Albrecht and Walli will each give a presentation, which
will be followed by a discussion period.
3) "Lucifer-PACS Science Synergies" will be coordinated by
Raanan Nordon, and is tentatively planned for Tuesday afternoon.
4) "PACS SHINING Synergies with Other Group Science", will be coordinated
by Steve Hailey-Dunsheath, and is tentatively planned for Wednesday morning.
As has been the case in the past, most participants will not give a formal
presentation, but everyone should come prepared to participate actively in
the discussions. The session coordinators are putting together their
programs now, and will approach potential speakers and discussion leaders
within the next days, if they haven't already. They will provide details
for their sessions, including suggested reading material, well in advance
of the meeting. The schedule will also have gaps so that there will be
plenty of time for more informal discussions/interactions outside of the
1) The retreat will begin at Ringberg at with check-in on Sunday, after
16:00, and will end by noon on Wednesday. There will be a welcome
reception with a Brotzeit at the Castle on Sunday evening.
2) We hope to be able to accommodate everyone up at the castle, but may
need to use an overflow hotel depending on the number of participants.
There are 34 single rooms and 7 doubles at the castle - that means
that we can accommodate 41 participants at Ringberg. We will use all
of the available double rooms as doubles to make full use of
Ringberg's capacity. Anyone not able to spend the full 3 days at the
retreat will be preferentially lodged in a hotel to minimize the
overheads on the Ringberg staff.
3) We will look into getting the MPE van to help with the transportation
to and from Ringberg. Hopefully, between the van and the large number
of private cars we can accommodate everyone. However, there is also
regular train service to the nearby town of Tegernsee, with taxi
service to the castle from there (see the Ringberg web page).
4) All board and lodging costs will be covered for participants.
5) Weather permitting, we may organize some outdoor activity on Sunday
before check-in (maybe a hike?) for those interested.
To help us to plan the final details of the meeting could you please
fill in the questionnaire at the end of this message and send it back to
me (with a cc to Susanne Harai-Stroebl) by OCTOBER 10 AT THE LATEST?
PLEASE SEND BACK THE FORM EVEN IF YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO ATTEND. I'll send
around an updated program and final details shortly thereafter.
If you have any questions or suggestions for the meeting just let me
1) Will you attend the "IR Retreat 2009" at Schloss Ringberg?
2) Number of nights at Ringberg or hotel: ___ Sun ___ Mon ___ Tue
Are you willing to share a double room?:
If yes, preferred roommate(s)?:
Do you have special dietary requirements?:
Are you planning to drive, take the train, or do you need a ride to Ringberg?:
If driving, can you take other group members along? How many?:
© Infrared and Submillimeter Astronomy
Group at MPE. © Max-Planck-Institut für extraterrestrische
Impressum, last update: 08-Oct-2009,
editor of this page: Thomas Ott